[Today’s Tuesday Reading is from Lori Green, Program Leader and Leadership Coach at MOR Associates. Lori may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.]
Lori Green's blog
Adaptability is core for success and entails having flexibility to handle change, balance multiple demands, and bring fresh ideas to new situations.
Stress can come from change and begins with how you respond. Find the amount of stress that maximizes performance without impacting your health.
"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude."
- What are you not paying attention to and how can you start?
- What little things does your family do?
- What do the people that you work with do well?
- What would it be like without these people?
"Silent gratitude isn't much use to anyone."
"Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results."
- Willie Nelson
"The best leaders convene conversations. They set the stage that enables others to develop solutions."
- Rosabeth Moss Kanter
- How much are you doing because you know how or it seems easier?
- How involved or empowered do others in your unit feel to help with solutions?
- How much brain power and how many ideas are wasted daily because of ill use and timing?
- What can you do to help promote individuals or groups to help tackle tough issues?
"Anything I've done that was ultimately worthwhile initially scared me to death."
- Do you avoid situations that you perceive as conflict?
- Do you avoid doing things that are anxiety provoking?
- Do you perceive that you "can't" do those things or are you unwilling to try?
- How will you learn, grow and move past them?
- Make a plan. It's very rewarding.
“Human nature is not a machine to be built after a model, and set to do exactly the work prescribed for it, but a tree, which requires to grow and develop itself on all sides, according to the tendency of the inward forces which make it a living thing.”
"Your life doesn’t get better by chance. It gets better by choice."
- Author Unknown
- Do you hold resentments from your past?
- Do you tend to blame others for positions that you find yourself in?
- How did you respond to those events? What choices did you make?
- Try the mantra "If it is to be it is up to me" and choose your present and future!
A key theme of the 2013 MOR IT Leaders Conference was that we are entering a time when disruptive change is the norm. Given that change will happen whether one participates or not, those who actively resist it will hinder their organizations’ progress and imperil their careers. For the conference participants, the message was clear: It is time to focus on the big picture and be sure that you and your unit are doing the right things for the future of the University and its students. It is time to develop the individual skills you need to ensure success for you and your university.