Leadership lessons continue to flow from the recent worst-to-first Red Sox season. Here is a great article from Fast Company on David Ortiz and leadership, “World Series MVP David Ortiz’s Big, Bold, On-the-fly Leadership Lessons“.
1. Borrow from other industries. I.e., the huddle.
2. Develop skills outside your wheelhouse. I.e., Ortiz not only hit hard (his wheelhouse) but also ran and sacrificed to score a run.
3. Act decisively. I.e., taking that bat to the telephone in an earlier game. (I thought this was a bad example and ruled out using it as a TR for that reason.)
4. Love your enemies – and don’t be afraid to have some fun. I.e., his trip to NYC where he hugged a number of people on the street – Yankee lovers.
5. Breaking the rules is sometimes OK.